Re: Checking that I can restore from RMAN backups (if I need to)

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:35:44 -0500

On 2006-10-11, tony_at_aberdour.demon.co.uk <tony_at_aberdour.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Comments embedded:
>
> sybrandb wrote:
>
>> > Surely EVERYBODY wants to know if they can recover their databases from
>> > backup don't they?

[deletia]

>> As RMAN comes with it's own API, and you can run RMAN in debug mode,
>> which will show you the actual API calls, and RMAN has a VALIDATE
>> BACKUP command, you would be better off making use of the API in your
>> script.

        You can also just run dbv as a part of your bash script if you're not choosing the RMAN route. RMAN is not the only method to validate a datafile. You can run dbv on the original file or the backup copy.

> Do you mean dbms_backup_restore? How do I run RMAN in debug mode to
> see the calls?
>
> The script you are setting up now can't cover all aspects of
>> RMAN and will fail sooner or later.
>> Apart from that: complete backup information comes from the RC_ views
>> and not from the v$ views.

[deletia]

--
     Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates         |||