Re: Alert log file

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:40:13 GMT

Robert Scheer wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am trying to find the error log files from Oracle, but all my folders
> are empty. As an example, my BDUMP folder is empty, though I have the
> BACKGROUND_DUMP_DEST parameter correctly defined. In order to get these
> log files working, do I need to set the SQL_TRACE parameter to True?
> Now this parameter is set to False.
>
> My main problem is that I need to log the activity of a job. When there
> is an error during the execution, the job is automatically set to
> broken but I can't find the error that caused the break anywhere.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert Scheer

You do not need to set the SQL_TRACE parameter.

While BACKGROUND_DUMP_DEST may be set correctly, does the user running the database have permissions to write in that directory? Also, this parameter could have been set in the SPFILE *after* the database was started, in which case, the value won't take affect until after you bounce the instance.

You might want to look at the default bdump location, which is typically $ORACLE_HOME/admin/{sid}/bdump to see if your Alert log is there.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net