Re: High CPU usage

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 11 Oct 2006 06:54:04 -0700

shiva wrote:
> We recently migrated from Oracle 9.2.0.1(Solaris 9) standalone to 2
> node Oracle 10.2.0.2 RAC(solaris 9). Previously database used to run on
> 4*900MHZ CPUs and now it runs on 2*4*1.2GHZ CPUs. After this migration
> cpu usage on both nodes are very high. In the range of 70-80%.
> (Beforein 9i it used to be less then 20%). The thing which bothers me
> is out of that 70% CPU usage, oracle is using about 40% and Kernel is
> using about 30%. I bumped SGA and PGA on both nodes and usage is still
> same. Any pointers on what to look would be appreciated.

Did you test the performance of your applications into RAC before migrating?

Is the "cpu utilization" showing up in IO wait? Which oracle processes exactly are using more cpu than they used to?

What happens to the cpu utilization if you temporarily turn off RAC ( run on one node of the cluster ONLY with cluster_database set to false for the instance you are running )? Received on Wed Oct 11 2006 - 08:54:04 CDT