Re: exporting characters from utf8 database to greek

From: <sasfatu_at_gmx.de>
Date: 11 Oct 2006 02:22:20 -0700

Hi Laurenz,
> So the Windows client has the character set set to EL8MSWIN1253
> with NLS_LANG, and the database character set is UTF8, correct?
Yes, thats correct.

> Since this should be fine for a database containing only greek and
> ASCII characters, maybe there is a problem with the 'export'.
Thats possible, but NLS_LANG = EE8MSWIN1250 does in Poland fine.

> What exactly is this export? I assume that you are not talking about
> Oracle 'exp' since this would not generate a human readable text file.
The export I am refering to is an text based export of certain tables in our database.

> - Is the export program something self-written?
> - If yes, in which language? Which database API is used?
Yes. It is written in Delphi5. The API for fetching data is an internal one that works in other
projects well.
> - If yes, please double check (e.g. with some debug code) that before
> you connect to the database, the environment variable NLS_LANG is
> set correctly.

I agree with you. Its possible that there is something fishy in the code. However there are
countries where everythings working. (Entering special characters storing them and exporting them) It is of course possible that it works in Poland just by coincidence.
I will check the code and will get back with the results. Regards

Poncho Received on Wed Oct 11 2006 - 04:22:20 CDT