Re: user with administrative priviledges

From: <ivl5_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Oct 2006 18:15:57 -0700

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> fireball schreef:
> > well, I 've found out (that is: 'grant DBA to user'), forgive my basic
> > questions.
> >

> Forgiven. :)
>
> The feedback is appreciated.
>
> Back on track: why do you want this? SYSTEM is especially
> created for this purpose

People usually do it when:
1. There is a policy/need to audit on per-DBA basis; shared generic account makes it harder.
2. Security is taken seriously. A well-known account is too obvious target. With Oracle, if you know username your chances to hack an account are much higher, e.g. one can prepare rainbow tables for SYS/SYSTEM at leasure and seek a chance to get a password hash.

I think it's a very good idea to replicate SYSTEM privileges in another user and lock down SYS/SYSTEM.

[...]

> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel

Regards,
Igor Received on Tue Oct 10 2006 - 20:15:57 CDT