Re: dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:43:42 GMT

klabu wrote:
> I have 15 tables, about 7 mil rows in total
>
> SQL> exec dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats(user);
>
> Executed in 469.305 seconds
>
> Is it "normal" that dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats takes that long ?

Which version of Oracle?

As David already said, it can take a long time gather stats for an entire schema, depending on many factors. The primary factor is the size of the segments in the schema, but it is not the only one.

There are methods to gather schema stats faster. You can perform the operation in parallel. You can only gather "stale" stats. These are just a few.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net