Re: Extent inffo does not match table size ?

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: 10 Oct 2006 03:33:23 -0700

sybrandb wrote:
> On Oct 10, 10:14 am, "Martin T." <bilbothebagginsb..._at_freenet.de>
> wrote:
> > (O 9.2.0.1.0)
> >
> > Ok, so obviously I haven't quite understood something here, hope s/o
> > can help.
> >
> > When I look at the Information on my table (using Toad), it reports:
> > STORAGE (
> > INITIAL 64K
> > MINEXTENTS 1
> > MAXEXTENTS 2147483645
> > PCTINCREASE 0
> > BUFFER_POOL DEFAULT
> > )
> >
> > However, it also reports:
> > Table Size = 128 MB
> > Number of Extents = 87
> >
> > So how can a table of 128MB be made up of 87 x 64KB?
> >
> > As I said, obviously I've either misunderstood something or look at the
> > wrong information :-)
> >
> > thanks,
> > Martin
> >
> > p.s.:
> > Tablespace:
> >
> > CREATE TABLESPACE "USERS"
> > LOGGING
> > DATAFILE '&2\ORADATA\&1\USERS01.DBF' SIZE 2048M
> > AUTOEXTEND
> > ON NEXT 10240K MAXSIZE 32767M EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL
> > SEGMENT SPACE MANAGEMENT AUTO
> > /

> tablespace ... AUTOALLOCATE (default) (no uniform extent sizes)
> Please look in DBA or USER_EXTENTS for this table and notice Oracle
> automagically increases every new extent.
> And yes, obviously this has been discussed before here.

Thank you!

cheers,
Martin

p.s.: I should have looked up the Create Tablespace stmt, not the Create Table stmt:

*extent_management_clause*

The extent_management_clause lets you specify how the extents of the tablespace will be managed.

o Specify LOCAL if you want the tablespace to be locally managed. Locally
managed tablespaces have some part of the tablespace set aside for a bitmap.
/This is the default./

o AUTOALLOCATE specifies that the tablespace is system managed. Users cannot specify an extent size. /This is the default/ if the COMPATIBLE initialization parameter is set to 9.0.0 or higher. Received on Tue Oct 10 2006 - 05:33:23 CDT