Re: sqlldr package

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 9 Oct 2006 16:30:34 -0700

chunji08_at_gmail.com wrote:
> I have installed oracel 10g on my home pc, of the full package. What I
> am looking for now is a subset of the files from this package, and I
> can use this subset of files to run just one oracle command: sqlldr.
>
> Here is the full story:
> 1. We have an oracle server running somewhere. it is of 10g version.
> 2. I am just a regular user for that oracle server. In most cases, I am
> using TOAD to access that oracle database to do my work.
> 3. Now, I am given an assignment to load lots of data from a text file,
> to that oracle databae, which I think "sqlldr" will be a good tool to
> give a try. The work needs to be done on second PC, not the one that
> oracle 10g has already been installed.
>
> So I am thinking I may just grab the sqlldr.exe and related libraries
> and put on the second PC, instead of doing another installation ?
>
> So which files should I copy to that PC ?
>

> thks,
>

> Charlie

There may be registry settings and configuration files you need. The easiest way might be to download XE and let it set everything up, then just modify the tnsnames.ora to point towards the desired db and its listener and shut down the XE services. Or, you could leave XE running and test your loads, that is one thing it is for after all.

The correct way is to do another client installation, of course.

You may be able to download the instant client and copy over the sqlldr.exe and use a particular connect string to connect to your db, but I haven't tried that. If it works, that would be the smallest footprint.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/geekacycle-defattens-the-bloggers-203972.php