Re: Oracle and Encryption

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.spam-me-not_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 11:53:55 GMT

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 02:19:08 -0700, z_at_hid wrote:

> Try DBMS_OBFUSCATION package for encryption and decryption.
>
> You may see this link to know more about security.
>
> VPD and there is another thing called OLS.

Oracle Label Security, which used to be known as "Trusted Oracle" is, to my knowledge, not generally available. DBMS_OBFUSCATION was renamed to DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT and it is a simple package which allows you encrypt and decrypt things using DES and DES3 (aka "triple DES") encryption. It doesn't say anything about the keys. As far as obfuscation toolkit is concerned, one can have the key written on a sticky and attached to his screen. I even saw that once. DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT is not a security solution, nor was it ever intended to be one.

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com