Re: Automatic Shared Memory Management needs Diagnostics Pack license?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 8 Oct 2006 10:46:28 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:

> >> And you might be surprised at the large number of DBAs, in shops using
> >> SE, that would say "Thank you" for access for being able to legally use
> >> some of those built-ins.
> >
> > Mark noted that people who have installed standard edition are not able
> > to use those features at all. I don't know standard edition, have
> > never worked with it.
>
> Not able as in it is a license violation. That is not the same as 'not
> able' and in the data dictionary views don't exist.
>
> This is analogous to the partitioning option. Oracle installs it. Oracle
> uses it. You just 'can't' if you don't buy the license.

I will have to check it out by doing an install of standard edition.

With the other options you at least have an option to legally license that option.

I am beginning to have a bad feeling that perhaps currently oracle ships the database control that enables access to the functionality of these packs in the standard edition even if people will never be able to legally use those options in standard. ( I was perhaps mistakenly assuming that oracle shuts down that functionality during the install process since one can never license it ).

If that's really how it works now, I don't agree at all with what oracle has provided. Certainly they can make decisions about what options are available for what editions as well as the pricing for those options.

If they really provide enabled access to options that one will never be able to legally license, that's not merely inappropriate it sounds like some kind of potentially legal liability to not only oracle but also to it's customers.

Is it some kind of nudge nudge wink wink use it but don't ask us about paying for it? If that's the case let's clean it up. Either give people a way to pay for it or take the option totally away from those editions where you cannot license it. Remove the possibility of putting oracle professionals in positions of risk and liability.

Wouldn't that the be the appropriate course of action and one that I thought Mark Townsend was already supposed to be addressing?

What about oracle auditing and asking people to pay for an upgrade to enterprise edition as well as the price of those option packs?

Anyway, I am going to check it out. If I do an install of 10.2 standard edition and I see that one can access that functionality, that would to me at least to seem like either a bug or an intentional move by oracle that puts its customers at potential risk. Received on Sun Oct 08 2006 - 12:46:28 CDT