Re: Undo Tablespace growing even with retention = 0

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 10:25:15 -0700

Jagjeet Singh wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can you please help me to understand this.
> I have set created new undo tablespace of 4 mb on my test database.
>
> I set undo_retention = 0 and was updateding a table with 1 records and
> commiting each time.
> But still my undo tablespace is growing.
>
> here is the test case
>
> Regards,
> Jagjeet Singh

Why would you expect behaviour to be different? Setting retention to 0 is more likely to guarantee an ORA-01555 than anything else. A 4MB UNDO tablespace is preposterously small. What is the point of what you are doing? Is there a business case hidden here somewhere or are you just playing around for purposes of personal education?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington