Re: Functions and where vs. group-by inconsistency

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: 6 Oct 2006 15:14:08 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> Martin T. wrote:
> > Hello all.
> > (assuming Oracle 9.2)
> >
> > First of all, does anyone know why the Oracle SQL Parser will not allow
> > us to use the <name>-part of "table.column AS <name>" in where or
> > group-by clauses?? Is this just being lazy on their part, or is there
> > an actual reason behind this?
>
> Just read the above paragraph a second time. I have no idea what you
> are asking. Is the lack of clarity just being lazy on your part? ;-)

Interestingly enough I posted exactly the same on the Oracle forums and people there had no problem understanding what I meant. Probably because they did not only read the 1st paragraph which may in fact be a bit unclear on my part.

Why can I not do:
select my_func(col1) AS col1_func
from table
where col1_func = :value;
- or even -
select my_func(col1) AS col1_func, sum(col2) from table
group by col1_func

For further discussions, if you are interested, see: http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=431012&tstart=15

cheers,
Martin Received on Fri Oct 06 2006 - 17:14:08 CDT