Re: Automatic Shared Memory Management needs Diagnostics Pack license?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 6 Oct 2006 10:21:01 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> Mark Townsend wrote:
>
> > Oracle continuously evaluates it's products, how customers use them
>
> I fully appreciate all that you wrote, though like HPUXRAC, I disagree
> with some of those decisions. But one problem with the above sentence is
> that evaluating how we use a product posits that we are not going to
> tell Oracle we are violating a license.
>
> I think refusing a revenue stream with Standard Edition
> counter-productive. If we want to give you money ... the least you can
> do is take it.
>
> And you might be surprised at the large number of DBAs, in shops using
> SE, that would say "Thank you" for access for being able to legally use
> some of those built-ins.

Mark noted that people who have installed standard edition are not able to use those features at all. I don't know standard edition, have never worked with it.

Mark's explanation seemed to mean that the OEM product under standard doesn't include any of the screens that would violate the licensing if you attempted to use those features under standard.

Or are you saying that "some" people can and do use those features even though oracle doesn't allow you to license them.

If that is the case, this is really a seriously messed up situation. Received on Fri Oct 06 2006 - 12:21:01 CDT