Re: Alternative to temporary tables

From: <sueschoch_at_gmail.com>
Date: 6 Oct 2006 08:18:41 -0700

Frank van Bortel wrote:

Sorry, Frank, I guess I was a little too terse.

> Looks like you do not want a solution?
> - you do not want to upgrade to a version not suffering from this

Upgrading a 24/7 production system is not a simple task. I need a solution now.

> - you do not want a reasonable simple workaround

I tried your suggestion of using a permanent table in other applications. It does work well. The problem is if anything fails and leaves rows in the permanent table, eventually the same data can be found again if the unique id is reused resulting in errors which are extremely hard to debug. There are probably ways to get around this, but I am really looking for something that is pretty easy to implement without a lot of overhead of redo/undo data. In fact, I moved that application from permanent tables to temp tables just for this reason. It works very well because the application runs pretty quickly then exits releasing any rollback. However, the application that is having temp table problems right now is a server that never exits. Therefore, the rollback space is never released and continually grows until it takes up all the rollback space.

> As last resort: ask for a backport

Backports have not been considered mainly for the same reasons we won't upgrade anytime soon.

> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel

Thanks for your suggestions Frank.

Sue Received on Fri Oct 06 2006 - 10:18:41 CDT