Re: I'll do my best to outline everything...

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 6 Oct 2006 05:59:39 -0700

Doug Jones wrote:

> Ok, I understand what you are saying. I have 2 questions:
> 1. Where would I be able to research changing the required files/etc to
> have the GUI point to the correct PC?

Read the product documentation.

> 2. If I use the RMAN duplicate database command for a restore, would I
> encounter the same errors?

Are you going to change the machine you are restoring it on look like the original host?

What do you think?

What would your "real" disaster recovery procedures look like?

> All of this "odd" work is because I am in charge of disaster recovery
> of this division of the company I work for. So, sadly, I have to learn
> this aspect first. Winter is coming :).

It's an opportunity. But with your limited experience with oracle you have a tremendous and steep learning curve to work through.

If I were you I would try to lead the area and set goals and monitor testing and make sure things were documented but turn over the oracle technical stuff including the design and procedural steps to an oracle dba for your company.

If you don't have one I would recommend you hire an experienced consultant and closely supervise what they work on and how they do things.

If you are in charge of disaster recovery and you don't have an oracle dba and you also don't have funds to hire some help then I think that's something you need to push to a higher level of management. Some times you have to admit you are past your technical experience level.

If it comes down to that you are going to have to do it all anyway, it's time to look at a long term training plan that will get you "up to speed" with relevant oracle responsibilities. That would take a year or two probably of some serious time and effort.

Good luck. Received on Fri Oct 06 2006 - 07:59:39 CDT