Re: I'll do my best to outline everything...

From: Doug Jones <dnetstore_at_gmail.com>
Date: 6 Oct 2006 05:45:47 -0700

hpuxrac wrote:
> Doug Jones wrote:
> > hpuxrac wrote:
> > > It does not really matter to me but many of the people in this
> > > newsgroup won't interact with you if you top post. It depends on what
> > > interface they use for this newsgroup.
> > >
> > > People are going to lose patience with posters in this newsgroup who
> > > don't do a bunch of digging and looking around before posting "what do
> > > I do next".
> >
> > Right, I can handle that.
> >
> > There is something I would like to ask about... It adds a ??????? to my
> > already confused view of Oracle. I found out something strange. When I
> > log in at the dos prompt (command prompt if you prefer) I can access
> > the database and everything seems to function. It was in the GUI side
> > that I was having problems. I have 2 machines 01q and 08q. 08q is my
> > source and 01q was my destination. I restored and recovered the data on
> > 01q and it gave no errors. However, I noticed what my problem could be,
> > but I don't know how to fix it. When I load the GUI on 01q, it is
> > somehow pointing to 08q. If I shut 08q down, 01q no longer functions.
> > The host name listed on 01q is 08q. The url does point to 01q, but it
> > displays 08q listener and host information.
>
> Well I can take a swing at explaining part of that. The GUI that you
> use through a web browser depends on and uses a lot of the code and
> plsql procedures and other things within the database.
>
> So the GUI and the database have built in dependencies and references
> to each other ( is a simple and maybe misleading explanation but close
> enough ). The database for most practical intents and purposes
> provides a web server.
>
> When you restored the database and brought oracle backup the
> dependencies in the restored database remember the machine it used to
> live on. Unless you know how to change all those things ... it's going
> to try to operate like that.
>
> There's a bunch of oracle technical documentation that's freely
> available that would let you know how to do that but researching it at
> your current level of understanding would not be a small effort.
>
> To repeat a point I asked several times already, have you contacted the
> authors of the article you are working from and pointed out areas you
> are struggling with?
>
> > I am at a total loss and tossed both servers... starting from scratch.
> > I looked on Google and found no answers... so I am just going to try it
> > again....
>
> One simple way to proceed if you really must keep repeating this same
> exercise would be to have the restored database brought back to life on
> a machine that has the same name/host information as the old machine
> had. Have them on different mini networks if you must so they don't
> see each other or whatever.
>
> To me at least, there is a lot of other things concerning oracle that
> you could spend time learning instead of this one specific set of
> adventures you are trying to perform.

Ok, I understand what you are saying. I have 2 questions: 1. Where would I be able to research changing the required files/etc to have the GUI point to the correct PC?

2. If I use the RMAN duplicate database command for a restore, would I encounter the same errors?

All of this "odd" work is because I am in charge of disaster recovery of this division of the company I work for. So, sadly, I have to learn this aspect first. Winter is coming :).

Thanks for all your help.

Doug Jones Received on Fri Oct 06 2006 - 07:45:47 CDT