Re: I'll do my best to outline everything...

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 5 Oct 2006 13:28:36 -0700

Doug Jones wrote:
> hpuxrac wrote:
> > It does not really matter to me but many of the people in this
> > newsgroup won't interact with you if you top post. It depends on what
> > interface they use for this newsgroup.
> >
> > People are going to lose patience with posters in this newsgroup who
> > don't do a bunch of digging and looking around before posting "what do
> > I do next".
>
> Right, I can handle that.
>
> There is something I would like to ask about... It adds a ??????? to my
> already confused view of Oracle. I found out something strange. When I
> log in at the dos prompt (command prompt if you prefer) I can access
> the database and everything seems to function. It was in the GUI side
> that I was having problems. I have 2 machines 01q and 08q. 08q is my
> source and 01q was my destination. I restored and recovered the data on
> 01q and it gave no errors. However, I noticed what my problem could be,
> but I don't know how to fix it. When I load the GUI on 01q, it is
> somehow pointing to 08q. If I shut 08q down, 01q no longer functions.
> The host name listed on 01q is 08q. The url does point to 01q, but it
> displays 08q listener and host information.

Well I can take a swing at explaining part of that. The GUI that you use through a web browser depends on and uses a lot of the code and plsql procedures and other things within the database.

So the GUI and the database have built in dependencies and references to each other ( is a simple and maybe misleading explanation but close enough ). The database for most practical intents and purposes provides a web server.

When you restored the database and brought oracle backup the dependencies in the restored database remember the machine it used to live on. Unless you know how to change all those things ... it's going to try to operate like that.

There's a bunch of oracle technical documentation that's freely available that would let you know how to do that but researching it at your current level of understanding would not be a small effort.

To repeat a point I asked several times already, have you contacted the authors of the article you are working from and pointed out areas you are struggling with?

> I am at a total loss and tossed both servers... starting from scratch.
> I looked on Google and found no answers... so I am just going to try it
> again....

One simple way to proceed if you really must keep repeating this same exercise would be to have the restored database brought back to life on a machine that has the same name/host information as the old machine had. Have them on different mini networks if you must so they don't see each other or whatever.

To me at least, there is a lot of other things concerning oracle that you could spend time learning instead of this one specific set of adventures you are trying to perform. Received on Thu Oct 05 2006 - 15:28:36 CDT