Re: VPD vs Multiple Schemas

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 5 Oct 2006 07:37:12 -0700

On Oct 5, 8:48 am, "Hans" <h..._at_nospam.com> wrote:
> I guess you already know but VPD is only part of Enterprise Edition of
> Oracle so if you run Standard Edition VPD is not an option for you.
>
> Regards
> /Hans

An alternative might be to just add the hospital code to the tables and PK then to use views that filter the data so that the user can only see data for their associated hospital.

By using views and stored procedures that return reference cursors it is possible to create an application where the application never directly accesses a table and where no user has any grants to the actual tables used to store the data. This type of design protects the data even if the end user logs directly into Oracle via SQLPlus (or any other tool) since the user access would still be limited to use of database objects that have security rules built right into them.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Oct 05 2006 - 09:37:12 CDT