Oracle database doing work not to asked for

From: Dusan Bolek <spambin_at_seznam.cz>
Date: 5 Oct 2006 07:28:45 -0700

We're encountering an interesting problem. There is a client application that is accessing a central database only through branch databases via database links. In STATSPACK report I can see a lot of queries like SELECT * FROM some_big_table, but it is strange because:

  1. these queries are many times parsed (60 times per second), but never executed (Executions = 0)
  2. APPNAME from trace files generated in the central database corresponds with the application name
  3. developers of that application told me they never used them
  4. in branch database traces there is nothing related to these queries

It looks like these statements are being parsed on behalf of distributed queries from the application, but there is no clear reason why and also why they are not executed. We're suspecting an Oracle bug, but maybe some here has similar experiences and will be willing to share them.

Thank you

Dusan Bolek Received on Thu Oct 05 2006 - 09:28:45 CDT