ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

From: Douglas Shook <shook_at_usc.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 15:39:00 -0700

Hi all,

I just installed Oracle 10g on a server and can connect to it locally from the server using sql*plus, can create tablespaces, etc., but get the following error every time I try to connect to it remotely:

ORA-12514:TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor.

The database started and is up and running. Using the Oracle Administration Assistant, I set the .connect database. to ORCL. I have Googled this error and cannot seem to find anything that works. Any ideas what I should try or where to look? Thank you in advance.

doug Received on Wed Oct 04 2006 - 17:39:00 CDT