Re: OK here is the scenario

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 3 Oct 2006 13:19:45 -0700

Doug Jones wrote:
> Well I have been reading and I know I need to continue to spend time in
> doing so.
> My question about the RMAN backup command is not asking for all the
> backup scenarios, but rather a 'catch all' backup. I am at backup
> attempt 11, and no matter what I backup I am missing "something" first
> it was control file, etc etc etc..... but now it seems that I can't
> recover after the restore because my log files aren't present... so,
> what do I need to include in RMAN's backup command to get the log files
> backed up? The only thing I have found usable was when I went into the
> Enterprise console in IE and performed that backup there... but I want
> to familiarize myself with RMAN..... This is all in a test environment,
> so no one worry about "bad advice".......... I learn more from doing
> than I do from reading.....
>
> Thanks All...

For doing what you are attempting to do, I would recommend using a recovery catalog.

Something like this ...

  1. backup the database including the current control file ...
  2. switch archive logs then ...
  3. backup the archive logs
  4. export the recovery catalog

On your recovery machine ...

  1. build a recovery catalog database and import the exported recovery catalog
  2. do some pre setup for the database you are going to restore/recover
  3. restore the archive logs
  4. restore the database
  5. recover the database until no more archive logs

Or I go back to my other question ... have you followed the steps that whatever article that you are following told you to do exactly?

Have you contacted the authors?

It is not rocket science but it can be tricky complicated and frustrating.

Have fun. Received on Tue Oct 03 2006 - 15:19:45 CDT