Re: Help with query across schema in TOAD

From: <zwasdl_at_gmail.com>
Date: 3 Oct 2006 11:58:02 -0700

Please see my clarification below.

Thanks,

Wei

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> zwasdl_at_gmail.com schreef:
> > Hi,
> > I think I didn't describe my questions properly.
> > I have two userIDs which can connect to two different Oracle
> > Databases.
>
> Misconception #1: it is one database, two schema's!

I am accessing two databases at two different locations with different IP addresses.

> > I'm trying to join the tables from the two databases. I know
> > in MS Access I can do that via linked tables, but I can't write hint in
> > query. So I have the following two questions:
> > 1. How can I do it in TOAD/Oracle?
> Not. Unless you grant access to the tables, owned by A to B:
> grant select on my_table to b;
>
> B can now: select * from a.mytable;

I assume one Oracle database can't grant access to another database, right?
Can I use connection string to join tables in two database in one query?
Microsoft Access creates local linked tables (with userid and password and tnsname defined) which map to remote tables via ODBC, and therefore it is not restricted to one Oracle database.

> > 2. How can I add hint in Access in this case? I know pass-through
> > query might work, but will face the same issue as in question 1.
>
> Would not know. What is Access?

Microsoft Access