Re: RMAN Question.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 07:35:16 +0200

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 19:01:15 -0500, "News" <r.w.p_at_charter.net> wrote:

>Here's the scenario.
>You use rman to backup your database disk-to-disk, then copy the control
>file, the backup your archived log files as shown in this script segment.
>
>run {
>allocate channel chn1 type disk;
>backup full format = '\\FS1\backups\dbf\data%U' ;
>copy current controlfile to '\\FS1\backups\dbf\control.ctl';
>backup format = '\\FS1\backups\archlog%U' archivelog all delete input;
>}
>
>Now you loose your entire database including control files. Your backups
>above are ok and you intend to use the copy of the control file to restore
>and recover your database.
>
>The problem is that the control file copy in the above backup was taken
>BEFORE the archivelog file backup. This means that the copy of the control
>file does not have a record of the archived log file rman backup piece on
>disk.
>
>Question:
>
>After I do the restore of the database using rman, how can I get rman to
>recognize the archivelog backup piece that was created? Is there a way to
>make rman "aware" of that archivelog file backup piece?
>
>This is a real scenario at a customer site.
>
>Thanks.
>mim

1 Oracle does NOT support doing *anything* across the network using UNC notation
2 If this is Oracle 8i the script is just plain incorrect. And no, there is NO command to make RMAN 'aware' of the archivelog backup. You'll have to change the script.
3 If this is Oracle 9i or above, the RMAN command configure controlfile autobackup on would help you out

If this is a real situation at a customer site, I would simply pray you never need to restore. Likely, there will be some very nasty surprises.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA