Re: oracle and vmware

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:53:10 -0700

nicolas.rolland_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you all for your responses.
>
> The primary problem is that our "test" environment is down 95% of the
> time, because of cross usage for maintenance, patch, tests etc.
>
> So ideally having a second (3rd, nth..) virtualized environment for
> testing would be the ideal solution as it would help each division to
> test their feature without interfering with each others.
>
> Obviously I don't hope to have a perfect replica of such a machine, but
> I wonder how easy it is to strip down the hardware to a point which is
> virtualisation-capable.
>
> I must say I have no idea on what it takes to serve a 1 Terabyte Oracle
> database....

Please do not top post. Scroll to the bottom to reply.

What it takes to host a 1TB Oracle database is a minimum of 1.002 TB of disk space. All other considerations are dependant upon what you choose to do with it after it is opened.

I know virtualization is the cool word of the day ... like XML was yesterday and Java was last year. But there is no advantage I can think of and several disadvantages to doing what you propose.

--
Daniel Morgan
University of Washington