Re: Oracle Recovery from directories

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 2 Oct 2006 09:27:59 -0700

pdsgomes_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> First, i say sorry for my poor english, imfrom portugal :)
>
> Well my problem is that i was running SuSE Linux 8.0 with Oracle
> 9.2.0.1, and sudenly, because of the electricity, the system disk
> crashed up and now, i just have the secondary disk, this one healthy,
> with the oracle directories and the entire database.
>
> At present i have a new machine with SuSE 9.1 and Oracle 9.2.0.4
> installed, and the question is. how can i recover the database that is
> on directories into the new server with a new Oracle version.
>
> I just what to recover a user from the old database, and its very
> important for me, normaly my backups were simple (ex. exp xxx/xxx_at_orcl1
> file=xxx.dmp owner=xxx) i i had my backup done, but it passes 3 months
> that i was not making backups, now the only way is to recover that user
> from the directories.
>
> I apreciated every help that u guys can get me.

Before you do anything, I would suggest copying ( backing up ) what you have now on disk before anything else you might do causes further problems.

If you have a support contract with oracle by all means open up a service request and work with them.

Normally oracle can "restart and recover" a database that was operating when a machine crashed. So if your second disk really does contain all the files oracle needed for that database you may not need to do anything but let oracle restart and perform instance recovery itself.

But if your database is really base level 9.2.01 and your software is 9204 that could potentially cause some aggravation ( maybe not ? ).

So one possible way of proceeding is to ( after backing up what you have now ) is to get the software installed at 9201. Then create a parameter file that will point to the control files on your second disk. Then go into sqlplus after setting the relevant oracle environment variables ( ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID, PATH, etc ) and try this ...

sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
startup

... and see if oracle is able to do instance restart and recovery for you.

Play around on a different machine perhaps with copies of the directories and make sure you know what you are attempting to do before doing it against the real second disk.