Re: Oracle trim in a where clause

From: Lionel <SPAMcoollATfreePOINTfr>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 11:38:32 +0200

sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> For a start consider using the LPAD function in order to void padding
> manually.

Great ! I didn't know there were LPAD and RPAD functions. RPAD('SomeChars' || myId, 100, ' ') will suit perfectly.

> Also consider using a Function Based Index on 'SomeChars'||a.myid.
> Then consider hiring lawyers ...

To sue the person who decided to use a CHAR(100) ? :)

And what if I create a view on the dblink that would do a to_number(substring(trim(otherTable.charId)) ? That would allow a join on a number column. Would it be better or worst ?

Thanks ! Received on Mon Oct 02 2006 - 04:38:32 CDT