Re: What is the meaning of # and $ characters in database object names?

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 20:22:16 +0100

ricforduk_at_yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Around 1984 Oracle 2 was released under RSX/11M. RSX/11M was the
> precursor to VAX/VMS and made heavy use of $ for reserved symbols.
> (For example, in modern VMS, $STATE, $SEVERITY etc.) I believe the
> early Oracle developers adopted this convention for their own 'reserved
> symbols' - but placed the $ at the end of string just to be different.

> Anyone else remember IOR C?

Firebird uses rdb$.... for system views.

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.