Re: Need your advice and suggestions

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Oct 2006 15:55:26 -0700

Gridhar,

A DBA should have good understanding of the layers up and down the technology stack as databases happen to be right in the middle. You need to know what your application does and how it works, be able to talk to the business users, solution architects/designers, business analysts, developers, testers, system integrators, etc. You need to know about the hardware, storage, disk arrays, Timefinder/BCV, SRDF, ShadowImage, FlashAccess, TrueCopy-type technologies. You need to know Veritas Netbackup and Legato Networker. You need to know UFS, VxFS, VxVM, LVM, AdvFS and their mount options. You also need to know the middleware layer, Tux, WLI and similar.

Regards,
Sev