Re: When to use Updateable View ?

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 17:00:10 GMT

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 22:04:29 -0700, DA Morgan wrote:

> HansF wrote:
>

>> A view should represent a business access to the data.  For example the
>> view might provide the complete purchase order information, rather than
>> the 'purchase order header' and 'line items' normalized tables.

> Perhaps we read the OP's question differently but a view as you describe
> would not normally be updatable without the use of an INSTEAD-OF trigger.

No argument.

I gave an example of a 'business oriented view'. It was not intended to be directly updateable. I did mention the possibility for InsteadOf triggers later in the post.

My discussion was simply:

  1. A view should have a meaning.
  2. If it has a meaning, it can be used for update (although InsteadOf may be required).
  3. When comparing performance, look at the entire operation from initial select, not just the actual update statement.

A digression perhaps, but to expand on my point #1 ... I firmly believe that we, as analysts, missed the boat years ago. The typical analyst transforms entities to 3NF and beyond, and then implements as tables. I think this often results in loss of the business meaning that was captured. I think that the VIEW implements the proper transformation between the logical and physical model.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!