Re: No one could logon to productio database for a while

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 1 Oct 2006 07:14:04 -0700

joel garry wrote:
> dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> > joel garry wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, so looks like gpoing to 9206 is not recommended.
>
> Wellllllllll, I wouldn't say that, as I've been on 9206 (hp-ux 11i) for
> a while. What you should do is figure out if the known bugs in each
> affect you (see the descriptions in the patches, and test), and whether
> 9208 might be the way to go until you can get to 10. For my
> environment, 9206 is better and I'll be evaluating 9208 sometime,
> depending on a third-party vendors 10ishness. Sometimes you can
> mindlessly throw hardware at a latch issue or shared_pool at a 4031,
> but no one logging on might be considered more nasty. I don't seem to
> have any of these problems, fortunately.
>
> I've seen some pretty strong opinions both ways on 9205 v 9206, seems
> very site-dependent.

We were running 9206 on hpux 11.11 pa-risc for a long time just completed upgrading all our systems to 9208.

It wouldn't make any sense to me for someone still at 9205 to go to 9206 instead of 9208 based on what I have seen so far. As Joel noted, could vary by site. Received on Sun Oct 01 2006 - 09:14:04 CDT