Re: oracle and vmware

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 18:01:39 GMT

nicolas.rolland_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have at my workplace a 1 terabyte Oracle 9i database.
> It is currently running on a "big" solaris machine with 30Gb memory,
> and 20 processors.
>

> This setup is obviously not very flexible for testing purposes, and
> we'd like to virtualize this environment, maybe with vmware.
>
> Would anyone have any experience with that?
> What do you think are the minimum requirement for a 1 terabyte
> database?
>

> Thanks for your advices !

Running Oracle in a VM was recently discussed in this forum. Please follow this link to see what was previously written:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_thread/thread/29c59cbfe2aa486c/325a97f86ce648f7?lnk=st&q=oracle+virtual+machine+VM&rnum=9&hl=en#325a97f86ce648f7

The minimum requirement for a 1TB database can vary widely. It depends on your data access patterns from the application and/or users.

Since you are running Solaris, have you looked into partitioning the OS? To me, that would be a better option than running a VM on the server.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net