Re: Automatic Shared Memory Management needs Diagnostics Pack license?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:54:35 +0200

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 19:48:16 -0700, Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net> wrote:

>> Someone named Mark ( dunno last name ) who apparently was an oracle
>> employee was going to try to get these types of messy implications
>> straightened out.
>>
>> What role was that guy in and has he made any progress in this area to
>> date?
>>

>That would be me. The contribution was the Oracle Database Licensing
>Information - see
>http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/to_toc?pathname=license.102%2Fb14199%2Ftoc.htm
>
>It should pretty much answer any questions you have. You may not always
>like the answers however.

Definitely true. Actually, the answers Oracle provides are going them to loose customers. We can not afford to buy management packs on behalf of every individual customer, nor can we afford to reopen contract negotations to have customers pay for those management packs. Thanks to Oracle's 'compliancy' actions we now have one customer considering dumping Oracle completely. Consequently, we might loose that customer. There might be more in the near future, if Oracle continues with compliancy actions.
I have always been amazed about Oracle not having any restriction or key mechanism on their products. I know of a CAD software firm which allowed you to install anything. You could install it, however without a correct license key, it just wouldn't work.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA