Re: Automatic Shared Memory Management needs Diagnostics Pack license?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:42:49 +0200

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:26:14 -0700, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>I am always amazed by people that ask license questions here: Not
>every organization has the same license. And the opinion of other
>users is totally irrelevant. We could render an opinion that is
>correct today but be completely wrong tomorrow.

I think you are right. But on the other hand the licensing structure of Oracle as outlined on the Oraclestore, as far as I can understand it, not being a native English speaker, is *EXTREEMLY DIFFICULT* to understand.
What's more : if you talk to two *different reps*, you will likely get 2 *different answers*.

And how do you license Management Packs if you need them for your customers? Do you need to pay for every individual CPU? The current answer of Oracle to this question is : YES. Did you ever try to find out what is in the default Grid Control without Management Packs (and how usuable it is, without Management Packs). You almost can't !
Oracle is asking (on their store) €23500 per cpu for a single management pack, so it is a pretty relevant question.

Also if you run a default install of Enterprise Edition, you may run into Oracle lawyers, because, although you don't even use it, you *installed* it. One of our customers was considered not 'compliant' by Oracle and they were threatened with a lawsuit, they are now considering changing to a different database because Oracle is too expensive.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA