Re: Oracle 10g stops responding for a while

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 29 Sep 2006 06:24:21 -0700

Piotr Kujawka wrote:
> sybrandb wrote:
>
> > No. You need to use normal diagnostic tools to check the CPU load.
> Load is low, less then 1, the box is boring. There os no harddisks
> problem too, because they do noting.
>
> > Also you need to check (assuming you can still get in) what Oracle is
> > waiting for.
> How can i check that ?
>
> > You might have just insufficient memory, and the box is swapping and
> > paging like hell when this happens. Which you could easily check with
> > vmstat and similar programs.
> No, like I wrote below, the machine is very low load and has ~3 GB free
> memory.
>

> > Does your box satisfies Oracle's mimimum requirements?
>
> Yes, of course,
>
> Thank You for help.
>
> Regards,
>

> --
> Piotr Kujawka

Piotr, you can check what your database/session is waiting on via several tools that Oracle provides.

If you can reproduce the problem you can run a trace on a session with wait events and look that the trace.

You can run a statspack report to get an overview of the database.

You can query the v$system_event and v$session_events views.

You can find information on the v$ views in the Reference manual while the Performance and Tuning manul is probably the best place to look how to trace a session.

The manuals are availabe online from the main Oracle site (which will route you to the technet copy of the manuals, sign-in not required) and the newsgroup archives have many posts on some of these features.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Sep 29 2006 - 08:24:21 CDT