Re: OO4O: ORA-12154 Error - TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

From: CJM <cjmnews04_at_REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:01:51 +0100

"sybrandb" <sybrandb_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1159431864.205155.306200_at_b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> Quoting from your further contributions in this thread
>
> 'I didnt know about TNSPING, but it worked a treat - all aliases
> resolve to
> the right locations.'
>
> So obviously my assumptions weren't assumptions. I was correct, and you
> just weren't speaking the truth,

Really?

Your assumptions were wrong.

I was speaking the truth:

- I did google for help prior to posting.
- I did check my off-line Oracle documentation
- I did check on-line Oracle documentation
- Searched previous posts in this NG

As for TNSPING, it didnt demonstrate the problem nor find the solution. More specifically the Oracle page dedicated to the error doesnt suggest using TNSPING for anything
(http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14212/troublestng.htm#CEGJAGGH). Nor does this page:
http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14219/net12150.htm#ORA-12154.

Or this:
http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/gateways.102/b16222/net.htm#sthref484

Moreover, my OP clearly states that I succeeded in defining and using a System DSN - in essence this proves the same as TNSPING - that the listener is available and working and that the TNS names are correctly configured.

Even now you have no idea as to the cause of the problem. It seems a reboot solved the problem, but why? So while hardly unique, it appears the problem was non-standard and I was right to consult my peers within this group. No amount of searching online was likely to reveal the solution.

> trying to coerce people to do your
> work for free.

Coerce: verb; to achieve by force or threat.

Hmmm....

I haven't issued any threats as far as I know, but I was certainly trying to get my peers in this group to help me. For free, too. [The cheek of it! - Ed.]

Although they never came up with the solution, they were potentially going to save me some work. But surely that is the purpose of these peer-support newsgroups?

Moreover, I always try to help at least one person each time someone helps me. Obviously, not being an Oracle expert, I'm not much help here, but hopefully there might be a grateful recipient in one of the other NGs I frequent.

> As for being pompous, I doubt whether I am pompous, but I'm not so sure
> about you.
> Your insults were just plain unjustified,

Whether it is an insult depends on whether you *are* pompous or not.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_frm/thread/d377b25601b46c1f/7a2066eafb253721?lnk=gst&q=Sybrand&rnum=13#7a2066eafb253721

The general concensus seems to be that you have the right aptitude but the wrong attitude.

I think every technical NG has someone like you, which must be reassuring for you, if not for the rest of us. I'll let each other participant in this NG make up their own minds as to what you are. And what I may be for that matter.

http://www.politicsforum.org/images/flame_warriors/flame_47.php

> ...and my assumptions were
> correct.
> You didn't look up the error in any Oracle manual, or you would have
> known about tnsping.

Er, yeah... so you said.

Thanks once again to those who did their best to help.

Chris Received on Thu Sep 28 2006 - 11:01:51 CDT