Re: OO4O: ORA-12154 Error - TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Sep 2006 01:24:24 -0700

CJM wrote:
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:32:18 +0100, "CJM"
> > <cjmnews04_at_REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> >>Any thoughts?
> >
> > This is the most often posted error, as all people running into this
> > problem think they are unique or are too lazy to search Google, or
> > the Troubleshooting Section of the Oracle Net administrators manual.
> >
> > My suggestion is consequently obvious.
> >
> > I would urge you (or anyone exposed to the Evil Empire of Bill Gates)
> > - to stop being lazy
> > - look up Oracle errors in the Oracle documentation
> > - search Google.
> >

> I would urge you to:
> - Stop wasting bandwidth on slagging off Microsoft - do you think that your
> opinion of Bill Gates should be a factor in my companies choice of platform
> for an Oracle database?
> - Stop acting pompous by accusing people of being lazy without due cause.
> - Stop assuming that people haven't looked up the error in the Oracle
> documentation - perhaps they have but either havent found the inspiration
> they need or maybe they *do* have a 'unique' problem.
> - Stop assuming that people havent searched google - perhaps they have but
> haven't been able to find the signal within all that noise...
>
> If you had bothered to actually read my post, it will have been apparent
> from the information that I provided that I have been through some logical
> steps to debug this problem. I've basically outlined my installation
> procedure (which was the same as was done on my development server - which
> *does* work), so it the problem is as common and routine as you suggest, the
> solution should be fairly obvious - in which case, why not just say it.
>
> Can anybody else reading this please assume that I've been looking in what I
> think are the right places, and that I either haven't come across the right
> solution or if I have, I haven't understood it.
>
> CJM
Quoting from your further contributions in this thread

'I didnt know about TNSPING, but it worked a treat - all aliases resolve to
the right locations.'

So obviously my assumptions weren't assumptions. I was correct, and you just weren't speaking the truth, trying to coerce people to do your work for free.

As for being pompous, I doubt whether I am pompous, but I'm not so sure about you.
Your insults were just plain unjustified, and my assumptions were correct.
You didn't look up the error in any Oracle manual, or you would have known about tnsping.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior  Oracle DBA