Re: Oracle Alert: Filesystem has only 19.99% available space

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 27 Sep 2006 15:34:21 -0700

antonyliu2..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Every time I log onto Oracle Enterprise Manager, I see an alert as
> shown by the picture below.
>
> http://static.flickr.com/102/254377724_d124b4a6a5_o.gif
>
> I am an Oracle newbie, could you guys give a hint about how to fix this
> problem?
>
> Thanks.

OMIGOD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! Just kidding. You can set the percentage of fullness to alert on. You need to evaluate how fast the tablespace is using up space, ie, .34% in 11 days. About 1% per month, arbitrarily alerting at 80%. But actually, it can be a bit worse than that, depending on how big and when segments are requested for extension in the tablespace, you _could_ have something that rarely asks for a whole lot of space, but hasn't lately. Which is a fancy way of saying you need to know more about your application and how it works than a GUI snapshot or simple alert is going to tell you.

You can use OEM to make the tablespace 10% bigger and not worry about it for a year or whenever the alert buzzes, or you can figure out all the stuff a DBA does in relation to your configuration. That would be a management decision. I would advise management that someone be around who knows how to administer the database. Even, or perhaps especially, if it is just being used as a data dump.

So, who does recovery on your database if there is a problem? If that person cannot answer your question, you have a management issue. A fairly severe one. If there is no such person, a _very_ severe one.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"See your DBA?  I AM the #$%#$!@ DBA!"