Re: EXPORT/IMPORT schema from one unix server to another?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 27 Sep 2006 15:16:14 -0700

floram_at_telusplanet.net wrote:
> Hello Gurus,
>
> It seems like it should be so simple. I want to export a schema from
> one unix server to another.
>
> C:\>exp myname_at_instance file=dump.dmp log=export.log owner=name
>
> C:\>imp myname_at_test_instance file=dump.dmp log=import.log fromuser=name
> touser=name_test
>
> I've already pre-created a username (name_test) and default tablespace
> in the new instance.
>
> Obviously, I am trying to recreate the schema in a test environment on
> a test server. I should be able to export the schema by specifying the
> owner in the export statement. In the import statement, I think that
> the fromuser clause refers to the owner in the export statement. The
> touser clause refers to the username that I pre-created in the new
> instance.
>
> During the import I got the following:
>
> import done in WE8MSWIN1252 character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character
> set
> import server uses WE8ISO8859P1 character set (possible charset
> conversion)
> . importing NAME's objects into NAME_TEST;
> IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1435 encountered
> ORA-01435: user does not exist
> Import terminated successfully with warnings.
>
> I have searched groups and web but the only solution that I could see
> was to do a full export (full=y). However, the entire instance has
> over 34 GB of data on it. There must be another way?
>
> Is there?
>
> Thank you for your help.

Try exporting one table as name and importing as fromuser=name_test with the tables= parameter. That may whittle down the possible things wrong. Also, can you use sql*plus to log into name_test?

Always remember to list specific versions of Oracle and your operating system.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"I don't think we are going to evolve a rational mind. There are