Re: Testing purposes.

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:24:24 +0200

Doug Jones schreef:
> Back again. If I want to test restoring to a new host, do I need a tape
> drive? I am using the Microsoft Virtual Server as a test bed and I
> don't know of a way to simulate a tape.
>

> Doug
>
> Thank you

RMAN? You should be using it...
Make sure the location you backup TO is visible from both servers.
The backup will need to read the original controlfile and backup pieces, and restore these to the desired location (on the *other* machine)

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...