Re: 10g RAC and SRDF

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:29:18 -0700

Talat wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently building a 10.2 RAC cluster on AIX (OS: 5.3 HACMP:5.2).
> We'll be using disk mirroring (SRDF) for the DR component of this
> system - at the moment I'm looking at mirroring all database files +
> the Oracle binaries.
>
> I am having difficulty finding any information as to how I configure
> the CRS/HACMP so that I can achieve my aims. My main issue is that it
> appears that the CRS will only use the physical hostname for its public
> node name during installation and this is a
> problem since the hostnames of the DR cluster are different (and cannot
> be changed in the event of a DR fail-over).
>
> Is anyone out there running a similar setup (irrespective of platform)
> and if so, how did you work around the problem ?
>
> The only thing I can think of is to not mirror the Oracle binaries and
> the OCR files - I haven't tested this yet and so I'm not sure if it'll
> work or how seemless the failover would be. I would like to use the
> HACMP cluster service name as the public node name but Oracle don't
> think that this is possible.
>
> I've raised an SR with Oracle to see what they can suggest but any
> thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> T.

I'd recommend not trying to layer one failover solution on top of another. What is it you think you will get from HACMP you won't get from RAC and Data Guard?

The entire point of RAC is low-cost commodity hardware. Not the most expensive solution IBM has to offer. If you can consider a failure that would cause you to want to mirror the Oracle binaries ... why would you care? Let the node crash and burn. That's the whole point of the technology.

--
Daniel Morgan
University of Washington