Re: No one could logon to productio database for a while

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:44:42 -0700

dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com wrote:

>> Sybrand Bakker wrote:

>>> Yeah nicely put, 'some internal oracle bug', on a patch release that
>>> is more than a year old. Do you really think that this 'internal
>>> oracle bug' wouldn't have surfaced?
>>>
>>> Obviously you can't login anymore when the number of processes has
>>> been exceeded. Even SYS can't login anymore in that situation (this
>>> didn't apply BTW to version 6, internal could *always* login).
>>> Also, you need to check whether your number of semaphores on Unix
>>> level is adequate ( 2 * #processes + 10). If it isn't, you can't
>>> login.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>> No of process was not a factor, because then one gets an Oracle error
>> message instead of getting hung. I need to look into semaphores.
>
> My HP UNIX semaphore parameters are:
> semmni               8000
> semmns               12000
> far higher than semmni    2 *1200 + 10
> so I do not think semaphore is an issue.

Not sure what docs you are using as the source of your numbers but mine is:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/html/A96167_01/pre.htm#sthref106

There the requirement is listed as:

SEMMNI 4096 Defines the maximum number of semaphore sets in the entire system.
SEMMNS (SEMMNI * 2) Defines the maximum number of semaphores in the system. The default value of SEMMNS is 128, which is, in most cases, too low for Oracle9i software.

You might want to review the other kernel settings in SAM.