Re: RMAN and Archive log backups

From: Stephen <news_at_stoneyard.co.uk>
Date: 25 Sep 2006 07:23:10 -0700

Thanks for your help. This is a test (for my use) system, so nothing to disastrous. I can recover (the important data) with my previous non rman offline backup.

I am using to backup daily:

    backup full
    database
    format 'xxxxxxx\back%U.bak' ;

I am relying on the fact datafile 1 is backed up, to backup the controlfile and spfile;

Periodically throughout the day I am running:

    backup
    archivelog all
    format 'xxxxxxx\back%U.bak'
    delete all input ;

I think that I need to get this sorted, and then move to using a recovery catalog.

> Once you have restored the control

file(s) and if you are not using a recovery catalog I don't see how you

are going to get back the archive logs.

And

> You can, IIRC, in 9i and higher, manually restore archivelogs. But you
still would need to make RMAN think it would need those to recover.

Explains the problem very well.

Thanks Again, Stephen. Received on Mon Sep 25 2006 - 09:23:10 CDT