Re: RMAN and Archive log backups

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 25 Sep 2006 06:39:36 -0700

Stephen wrote:
> I am struggling to find the right restore and recover syntax for RMAN
> on Oracle 9i. I am not using a recovery catalog. I am backing up to
> disk. I would be grateful for any help.
>
> I have restored my spfile, control files and datafiles. I cannot get
> rman to restore and recover archive log backups. I assume it is
> because the archive log backups were done after the control file was
> backed up. The control file I have restored predates the archive log
> backups I want to restore and recover.
>
> Please, any ideas?
>
> Thanks, Stephen.
>
> stephenmorton at btinternet dot com

That is exactly the cause. Archivelogs are restored automagically, either because you perform complete recovery (and are using a controlfile you didn't restore, because in that case you automatically have incomplete recovery, and have to use recover database using backup controlfile instead of recover database) or perform point in time or incomplete recovery where you indicate the scn or logseq or time with a set until command prior to your recover database using backup controlfile command.
You could try to use
recover database using backup controlfile until cancel but you would have to verify this syntax in the documentation. If you would have used the *current controlfile*, and would have restored *older* datafiles, this wouldn't have happened.

You can, IIRC, in 9i and higher, manually restore archivelogs. But you still would need to make RMAN think it would need those to recover.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA