Re: remote database and cursor

From: <daud11_at_gmail.com>
Date: 24 Sep 2006 23:19:26 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> Daud wrote:
> > DA Morgan wrote:
> >> Yes.
> >>
> >> But unless you have a paleolithic version of Oracle this is a poor
> >> use of a cursor loop. Look to using array processing with BULK COLLECT
> >> and FORALL.
> >>
> >> Demos under Array Processing in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org
> >> --
> >> Daniel Morgan
> >> University of Washington
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> >
> > How does it work with cursor? It doesn't pull all the records from the
> > remote table in one go?
> > I wouldn't use array processing ... no point when I am retrieving a few
> > rows only most of the time.
>
> And the value of writing less than optimal code is?
>
> If you learn to write the most efficient code all of the time ... you
> will be writing the most efficient code all of the time. Assuming you
> are not writing code for a single-user system the question you should
> consider is what will happen when multiple users execute the code at
> the same point-in-time.
>
> I'd suggest you rethink your objection as the difference between the
> two is that it takes less code to do it more efficiently.
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> University of Washington
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group

You are concerned with array processing which is not an issue for me. I didn't ask about it because I already know about it. Tom Kyte's website has plenty of examples on it. If you look in my reply above, I asked about how cursor works over a remote db link - I wanted to know the details but you didn't answer it. Received on Mon Sep 25 2006 - 01:19:26 CDT