Re: Anyone using active directory instead of tnsnames.ora?

From: Tasm <tasm_at_tasm.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 09:41:26 +1000

DA Morgan wrote:
> Tasm wrote:

>> Is anyone using active directory instead of tnsnames.ora?

> Not of which I am aware and I'd caution anyone against doing so as it
> is non-transportable.
>
>> Just wondering because administering numerous tnsnames.ora files can
>> be a bit of a pain?

> Which is why Oracle has a solution that works on all operating systems:
> The TNS_ADMIN environment variable.

Thanks for the tip. We use TNS_ADMIN on all of our servers and I use it on my PC, but for some reason I have never thought about getting all of the clients to use it on a UNC path :(

Just wondering if anyone has experienced any problems with using it over a file share?

It is such a simple solution instead of using the vastly complex directory naming setup which uses a complex LDAP system running either on Oracle or Microsoft. Received on Sun Sep 24 2006 - 18:41:26 CDT