Re: What is lock type 'KO' in v$lock table?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.spam-me-not_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:00:30 GMT

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 08:04:11 +0100, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> "Mladen Gogala" <mgogala.spam-me-not_at_verizon.net> wrote in message

>> Why would that be? Other then that, I lived without object
>> checkpoints from the version 4 to version 10.1 and things were
>> fine.

> No you didn't, you just didn't know they were happening.
That's probably because I wasn't waiting for them long enough to get
alarmed. I was alarmed by the long waits for the 'KO' enqueue.

>> Why would a direct read trigger a checkpoint?

> Because there may be blocks in the buffer with commited
> changes that have not been written to disc. Since a direct
> path read goes to disc, bypassing the buffer, it won't see
> those changes. So you have to issue a "localised" checkpoint
> for the object just before the query starts to run.
>
> This feature existed back in (at least) 7.2 where I first met it
> as the "extent checkpoint" - where I think Oracle issued a
> checkpoint once per extent. At some point this turned into
> a tablespace checkpoint because "extent checkpoints" were
> a disaster (no checkpoint queue until 8.1). The it became the
> segment checkpoint - then in 10.2 Oracle put a linked list
> into the buffer header to deal with all the problems if handling
> a single segment in large buffers.
Thanks! This is a logical explanation. That probably means that putting a /*+ PARALLEL(tab,n) */ hint in my query will inevitably cause a "local checkpoint"? I moved to New York City, so if you ever decide to teach a tuning class there, let me know. The one I attended in CT was fantastic. -- http://www.mladen-gogala.com