Re: No one could logon to productio database for a while

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 08:08:28 +0200

On 22 Sep 2006 21:50:24 -0700, dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com wrote:

>DA Morgan wrote:
>> dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Nothing in inexplicable. I just built the trigger and procedure and it
>> leads me to wonder whether your assumption as to the root cause of your
>> problem is correct. I certainly don't see any issue.
>> --
>> Daniel Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>

>Are your saying trigger may not be the issue?. I also think so, but I
>do not know what else could cause this problem unless one is hitting in
>some internal oracle bug which happens once in blue moon.

Yeah nicely put, 'some internal oracle bug', on a patch release that is more than a year old. Do you really think that this 'internal oracle bug' wouldn't have surfaced?

Obviously you can't login anymore when the number of processes has been exceeded. Even SYS can't login anymore in that situation (this didn't apply BTW to version 6, internal could *always* login). Also, you need to check whether your number of semaphores on Unix level is adequate ( 2 * #processes + 10). If it isn't, you can't login.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA