Re: Rac on Linux

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:33:23 -0700

JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>> This is not a discourse on which is better, OCFS or ASM. But I do
>>> challenge the notion that OCFS is dead or dying. It may be dead from
>>> Oracle's development and support point of view, but that is because they
>>> have shipped OCFS 2 to the Linux community:
>>>
>>> http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/117697.htm
>>> http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/04-04-2006/0004333067&EDATE=
>>>

>>> So OCFS will live on in some form or another.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Brian
>> OCFS is open source and it is not Oracle's to control.
>>
>> But for someone to adopt a technology that Oracle has lost interest in
>> is a guarantee of support issues moving forward.
>
> 	Oracle doesn't actively support dm-multipath either.
>
> 	By your own argument, people should be avoiding Linux
> 	entirely just because there is some part of the OS
> 	stack that Oracle has chosen not to keep under it's
> 	thumb anymore.

Not by my argument nor by anything other than tortured logic. If Oracle won't support it you use it at your peril. Oracle supports Linux. If Oracle stops I'd drop it the next day for new installations.

There are members of the RAC Pack recommending ASM and indicating OCFS is in the crosshairs. Is anyone inside of Oracle saying that they will desupport Linux?

I'm afraid I am going to have to report what you did to logic to the people that enforce the Geneva Convention. ;-)

--
Daniel Morgan
University of Washington