Re: Rac on Linux

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:10:05 -0500

On 2006-09-13, HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:18:54 -0700, hpuxrac wrote:
>

>> Do you like your database vendor to also provide your file systems?
>
> Why not?

        You no longer have access to your database using standard well establish, well known and well understood system level utilities. Your filesystems are now a blackbox that only Oracle can penetrate. Your are COMPLETELY dependent on Oracle for everything.

> Oracle has been managing data on disk - at the disk level without an
> interceding file system - for many years. We should be able to trust them
> more than most ...

        Yup, and most people have opted against this.

--
      If you are going to judge Linux based on how easy
it is to get onto a Macintosh. Let's try installing          |||

                http://www.usenet.com