oraenv oratab and Oracle RAC

From: <spy_234432_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Sep 2006 09:24:29 -0700

Hi Everyone, Our company started creating applications on Oracle RAC. The development DBAs did something that I thought was weird and I just want to run it by people in this NG.

In the /etc/oratab, the databases are listed as such-

mmlive:/oracle/product:Y
mmhist:/oracle/product:Y
mmtest:/oracle/product:Y

mmtrain:/oracle/product:Y

However, the oraenv has some code in it that appends the node to the database name, creating the instance name.

# Install any "custom" code here
#
NODE=`$CRS_HOME/bin/olsnodes -l -n | awk '{print $2;}'` ORACLE_SID=$ORACLE_SID$NODE The database name is mmlive and the Instance name is mmlive1. Also, you cannot log into the instance with the database name.

(mmtest):/ora_backup/prev_0/mmlive/dbf> . oraenv
ORACLE_SID = [mmtest] ? mmlive
ORACLE_HOME = [/home/oracle] ?
(mmlive1):/ora_backup/prev_0/mmlive/dbf> sqlplus '/ as sysdba'
SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production on Fri Sep 22 11:17:17 2006 Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. Connected to an idle instance.
SQL> This creates a problem for us (the support DBAs) because many of our scripts and programs directly reference the oratab without using oraenv.

Is this a typical configuration? Received on Fri Sep 22 2006 - 11:24:29 CDT